Skip to main content

The War Memorial and Garden of Remembrance

The initial ceremony was held in September 1921 with a further Dedication and Unveiling Ceremony in May 1949. It is a lasting memorial to the residents of the parish who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country in times of conflict. It is a tribute to the many who served in both World Wars and the many other additional theatres of active service.

In addition we remember those who were fortunate to return to play their part in the ongoing development of our community, as many of those also suffered lasting legacies from their service. UK Forces Operations have continued around this volatile world and our military personnel have served their country in a significant number of armed conflicts since World War II and two local names have since been added to the Memorial.

Dedication ceremony at War Memorial 1921
Royal Garrison Artillery (v) 1902

Scotscraig Bowling Green

The green adjoins the gardens and is a popular facility within this peaceful setting with access for both club members and residents, to enjoy the sport. An early newspaper report of their AGM in 1907 lists as attendees many prominent members of the community at that time.

WWII Home Guard at Bowling Club
Early bowling competition

1st Fife Artillery Volunteers

The volunteers were formed in 1859 at a time when there was a requirement to guard the coasts against potential invasion. The 1st (Tayport) Fife Artillery Volunteers was formed at Ferry-Port-on-Craig 26th Jan. 1860 and was one of eleven companies located mainly around the Fife coast. The volunteers comprised part of the 1st Fifeshire Administrative Brigade based in St. Andrews under the command of Lt. Col. W.H. Maitland Dougall. Maitland Dougall was a retired Admiral who had first seen active service at the age of 16 in the 1830s and injuries from further conflicts saw him invalided out in 1847 at the age of 28. Following his marriage to Elizabeth Dougall in 1851, he became the Laird of Scotscraig and played a leading role throughout the community. In 1889 Tayport became the second position battery when 16 pounder RML guns were issued and in 1902 the regiment was redesignated the 1st Fifeshire RGA Volunteers. The Haldane Reforms of 1908 saw the formation of a new Territorial Force and further integration into the Royal Artillery.  The two 4.7 guns utilised at Spearshill Fort during WW1 were of a type issued to and manned by volunteer units after the Boer war.

Tayport's Roll of Honour

Tayport's Roll Of Honour 1916

This brochure was printed in Tayport Feb. 1916, recording those citizens who had or were serving at that time. It lists the exceptionally wide range of service undertaken at that stage of the conflict :- Black Watch. (66), Gordon Highlanders. (10), Cameron Highlanders. (5), Seaforth H. (5), Royal Scots.(23), R.S.F.(1), K.O.S.B. (1), H.L.I. (9), Scots Guards. (6), Scottish Rifles (1), Inniskillen Fusiliers (1), 3rd Worcesters (1), Royal Fusiliers (2), Hampshire R. (1), King’s Liverpool (Scottish) (1), South African Rifles (1), East African. R. (2), Indian Contingent (1), South African Scottish (1), London City Army (1), Royal Sussex (1), West Yorks. (1), West Kents (1), Royal Irish Rifles (1), Canadian Contingent (14), Australian and N.Z. Contingents (5), Army Cycle Corps (7), Highland Cycle Brigade (24), Fife and Forfar Yeomanry (8), Scottish Horse (3), Lovat Scouts (1), 21st Lancers (1), Military Mounted Police (1), Royal Field Artillery (11), Royal Garrison Artillery (6), R. E. (22), Army Ordinance Corps (2), Army Service Corps (14), A.S.C. (Mech. Transport) (4), Army Flying Corps (2), Royal Army Medical Corps. (8), Royal Navy (14),  R.N.R. (20), Naval Transports (2), Naval Brigade (21), R.C. Nurses (4) & Derby Scheme awaiting enlistment (113).

The Polish Army

Polish Eagle/Scottish Lion/Thistle on side of well at location of former Polish Army Camp in Tentsmuir forest

The Polish Army had a large presence throughout Fife during the early years of World War II including in 1942 :-1st Rifle Battalion Tents Muir, 1st Engineer Company Tayport and Searchlight Platoon Tentsmuir. The Polish Camp Road in Tentsmuir and the extensive remains of the beach defences constructed by the troops, are testimony to their welcome presence along with those who settled in the area after the cessation of the conflict. The Norwegian Army also had a presence for a time when they occupied the former smiddy located at the site of the football club car park, as a base and stables for the horses of a Battery of Mountain Artillery.

RAF Marine Service

RAF marine rescue craft with base in the background

RAF Marine Service had an operating base at the harbour from 1940 in support of the nearby aerodrome at R.A.F. Leuchars. Following their withdrawal  in the mid 1950s, occasional craft would still visit on exercise during the Cold War in the 1960s and early 1970s. The Marine Service was subsequently disbanded in 1986 when replaced by helicopters to form the Search & Rescue Force.

Royal British Legion Scotland Tayport Branch

Royal British Legion Scotland Tayport Branch had its clubrooms at 66 William Street from 1958-1985. The Branch remains active throughout the community and  organises the Annual Remembrance Parade and Church Service. The Branch has provided financial support to community projects including a major contribution to this Heritage Project.

Royal British Legion emblem from their former premises in William Street